English as an Additional Language or Dialect (EALD)
EALD is a Literacy support program for students who were either born overseas, have one or both parents born overseas or identify with another cultural background through extended family.
One of Prospect’s strengths is the diversity of our school community. We have cultural groups within our local community from many parts of the world. We promote and celebrate our cultural diversity by spreading understanding, tolerance and respect.
How diverse is our school population?
We are fortunate that Prospect Primary School has an incredible range of cultural diversity. Our school population is represented by around 30 nationalities.
Students who are eligible for the EALD program may be those who:
- Were born overseas and have learnt English later in their childhood
- Were born in Australia and speak English and another language at home
- Were born in Australia and identify with another culture through their extended family
We use several factors to identify students for support. These include:
- Classroom teacher and EALD teacher discussions
- Work samples
- Student’s current Language and Literacy Achievement and Proficiency Levels
- Diagnostic testing (classroom based)